Publications and Presentations
CC BY art_es_anna @ flickr
On this page, I will try to list my publications, both peer-reviewed and
not, as well as link to presentations that I have given. I will focus on
material that is available online. You can contact me at
Jump directly to
2012. 国家精品课程项目:利用开放教育资源提升本科教学质量 [National Top
Level Courses Project: Using OER to improve the quality of undergraduate
education]. (With Wang Long). 开放教育研究杂志 [Open Education Research
Journal], 18(1). Official
2011. P2PU:开放的网络学习社区 P2PU: Open network learning community. 现代教育技术 [Modern Educational
Technology], 21(8). Official
—访美国开放教育资源知名学者戴维·威利博士 [From OER to Open Assessment
Resources - Interview with well known American OER expert David Wiley].
(With Wang Long). 开放教育研究杂志 [Open Education Research Journal],
2011. A practical model of development for China's National Quality
Course Plan.(with Wang Long). British Journal of Educational
Technology, 43(6). Official
2011. 中国国家精品课程项目：使用开放教育资源提升本科教学质量. Chinese
translation of MA
Thesis. PDF, central
page with other formats, blog posts and supplementary
The Chinese National Top Level Courses Project: Using Open
Educational Resources to Promote Quality in Undergraduate Teaching.
MA Thesis in Theory and Policy Studies, University of Toronto.
central page with other formats, blog posts and supplementary
- 2010. Factors that Contributed to the Community Library Movement
in Indonesia. Libri, 60(1).
- 2010. Community Libraries in Indonesia: A Survey of
Government-Supported and Independent Reading
Gardens*.*Library Philosophy and Practice, February.
- 2009. Peer-To-Peer Recognition of Learning in Open
Education. (with Jan Philipp Schmidt, Christine Geith,
and Joel Thierstein). International Review of Research
in Open and Distance Learning, 10, 5.
- 2008. The literacy movement in Indonesia - access to
books, creativity and love of learning. IFLA
Section of Libraries for Children and Young Adults
Newsletter, December. Pp. 11-13.
- 2008. Some observations and suggestions about the
Rural China Education Foundation library
programs at two rural sites. Short report based
on visits to two rural sites in China.
Knowledge Building for Web 2.5: Making the transition to a
networked world.(with Sandy McAuley).Knowledge Building Summer
Institute, University of Toronto, Canada.
- 2010. *Equitable governance of multilingual Wikipedia.*Critical
Points of View: WikiWars conference. Center for Internet and
- 2009. Chinese OpenCourseWare - a Case Study of a Large
State-Sponsored Program. Open Education Conference 2009,
University of British Columbia.
- 2009. Peer 2 Peer Accreditation and Recognition. (with
Philipp Schmidt and Christine Geith). Open Education
Conference 2009, University of British Columbia.
- 2009. P2P University: Beginning the journey. (with
Joel Thierstein, Philipp Schmidt, Delia Browne and
Neeru Paharia). Open Education Conference 2009,
University of British Columbia.
- 2009. Open Educational Resources in India and
China: Re-shaping Periphery and Core? (with
Kirk Perris). Presentation at OISE Dean's
Graduate Conference, University of Toronto,
Peer learning and distributed open courses. Invited talk in
KMD2003 class, University of Toronto. Slides
- 2011.Grappling with ideas: divergence and convergence. Invited
talk at Connectivism 11 online course. Slides
MP3, slides + sound
[[Grappling with ideas|Extended notes]].
- 2011. The Chinese Top Level Courses: Improving the quality of
online courses in a new educational climate. CIDER session
(Canadian Institute of Distance Education Research). CIDER
- 2011. My experiments with being an open scholar. Part of a
graduate student workshop on publishing at OISE, University of
- 2010. Town Hall on Open Access. Was part of the panel at
this event at OISE, University of Toronto. My opening
- 2010. Multilingual Open Educational Resources for a
Multilingual and Multicultural UWC. Invited plenary
lecture at United World College of the Adriatic,
- 2010. What It Means to be an Open Scholar, and the
Future of Scholarly Publishing. Lecture as part of
Open Access Week 2010, OISE Library, University of
- 2010. (With Clare Brett). What can Open Access
offer me as a teacher?: A guide to Open Access
and to education resources you can use for
teaching and professional development. Workshop
as part of the Educational Technology day for
Master of Teacher candidates. OISE, University
- January, 2011. Interview with 24 Hours, free metro daily in several
big Canadian cities, about P2PU.
- November 8, 2010. Interview with United World College of the
- November, 2010. Interview with Synkron (2:2010), magazine for
Norwegian Association for Distance Learning.
- July 12, 2010: Interview with University Affairs, Canada, about
- July 11, 2010: Interview with The Hindu, second biggest
English-language daily in India, about P2PU.
- June 7, 2010: Interviewed at Campus Tech Connections about P2PU.
- May 25, 2010: Interviewed by Alastair Creelman for Learning Net
about P2PU. Swedish
English blog post
- March 14, 2010: Interview with The Star, biggest daily newspaper in
Malaysia, about P2PU. Blog
- February 2010: Interviewed for Galileu, Brazilian weekly about P2PU.
- November 15, 2009: Interview with Quebec weekly L'Actualité about
- November, 2009: Interview with Herbst Radio Berlin about P2PU (with
Philip Schmidt, Alison Cole and Neeru Paharia). Blog
- October 11, 2009: Interview with Chronicle of Higher Education about
my research on Chinese OER. Blog
- January 18, 2009: Interview with Chris Watkins at P2P Foundation
- October 24, 2008: Interview with University of Western Ontario
Gazette about P2PU:
- October 24, 2008: Interview (with other P2PUers) with Jeffrey Young
at the Chronicle of Higher Ed about P2PU. Article